Top Tips from Plantlife
Planting seeds is a simple pleasure that all of us can enjoy, whether gorgeous garden flowers, herbs and vegetables or Plantlife’s passion – wildflowers and native plants. Whether you are collecting your seeds from the wild, digging out some old packets from the shed or taking part in Homebase’s fantastic support of #BillionSeedsChallenge, here are a few tips from us to get the most out of 30th October as we do something together for our communities and local environment.
- Plant your seeds in pots, window boxes, your garden or join in together with an organised planting in your local green space – but please don’t plant in the wider countryside or in ‘wild’ areas
- Look out for Bee Friendly icons on your seed packet to help our native bees and other pollinators
- If you need compost, choose peat-free products – our wonderful wild peatlands found in Scotland, Wales, England and Ireland support amazing wildlife and store huge amounts of carbon to help in the fight against climate change – let’s protect them
- Choose locally or British grown seeds if possible
- If you want more wild flowers in your lawn, create patches of bare soil and use wildflower meadow seeds
- Look after your plants – some will flourish for years to come!
Plantlife is a wild plant conservation charity that runs 23 nature reserves across the UK.